Post by Sarah Evans, Tracky's Chief Evangelist
Upon entering the professional world, one of the most frustrating nuances I found wasn’t just getting things done (and on time), but then letting the right people know I got “it” done. My first mentor taught me, “Nothing is done until the people who needed it done know it’s done.”
That meant an additional task (or two), email to individuals and/or groups and, sometimes, a back-and-forth email discussion about the completed task. It could mean up to an additional hour or two just to tell people something is done.
What if you could completely streamline the process?
I’ve been busy in the Tracky HQ developing Tracky Premium Modules to make the projects in our personal and professional lives easier to manage.
- Sign up for Tracky (tracky.com). It’s a must or this doesn’t work.
- Get your boss signed up for Tracky. Tell him or her that taking two minutes to sign up will save at least five (5) hours a week in email management.
- Create a group where all of the communication with your boss will live (I use a Tracky PR group for mine).
- Visit our Tracky Premium Module, “HOW I SPENT MY TIME THIS WEEK”.
- Copy and paste the track and subtracks to your group (click the arrow in the upper right hand corner of the main track). NOTE: The discussion will not copy, so you don’t have to worry about deleting it.
- Change your privacy settings if you wish to “Secret.” (even though the module is public, when you copy a track, the privacy setting reverts back to the default “private” mode which means that the track information is only shared with the group).
- Add your boss to the group and the “HOW I SPENT MY TIME THIS WEEK” track (they’ll automatically be added to all subtracks).
Here’s how it looks in action:
Each week is one subtrack. In the discussion area I include one comment for every “big” task I complete. I even precede each task with a label like, “CONTENT” or “PR” and include hashtags to make search a cinch. I update it daily (and sometimes real-time) from my browser and iOS app.
The people who need to know are sent one recap email notifying them of my updates in the track. They can respond to that email and their reply is sent to the discussion. Easy. And, if they wish, they can change the frequency of those update emails to a less frequent interval (click on Notification Settings for a group).
If you want to do more with the track, you can choose to email it by clicking the right down arrow, or you can share it via Twitter or Facebook (show what you’re getting done!).
Now you can easily report to your boss, like a boss.
Tracky helps people and companies organize all of their to do’s, work projects and social connections in a single, easy-to-use dashboard – for personal, professional and everything in between. We’ve put together the most popular types of productivity and collaboration tools into one (amazing) platform, including:
- To-do lists
- Shared calendars
- Live chat
- Task management
- Social accountability
- Cloud-based file sharing
- Community building
- Social publishing
Or, put another way, if Basecamp, Chatter, Dropbox, Evernote, Tumblr, email, calendars, task lists and publishing came together and had a baby, it would be Tracky.
It’s scaled for enterprise and accessible enough for anyone to use.
Questions? Email Sarah at sarah@tracky[.]com.